No Slippage!

Stuff & Things — Sean Bonner @ 6:55 pm

Earlier this month I lost the first gadget of my life. A brand new iPod Touch. Fracking thing slipped out of my pocket in a cab and was gone before I even realized it. After mourning for weeks I knew I needed a better plan for the replacement. I tried to do the honest thing and went to the Apple Store looking for some kind of rubberized thingy what would attach to the iPod and keep it from being so dang slippery but no luck. They have approximately 10 million of those things for iPhones, but not a single one for the Touch. And since they are just slightly different sizes… well forget it. So, what to do. I started thinking about about things I’ve owned in the past that I didn’t lose, and which ones of those were definitely not slippery. The answer was immediately obvious. A skateboard.

Black Magic Grip TapeI went down to the closest skate shop I know of, which is unfortunately smack dab in a mall, and bought a yard of black grip tape. I point out that I bought the black stuff, not the multicolored or diecut stuff because when I pointed at it in the shop, and said “the black stuff, right there next to the Animal Chin DVD” the kid at the counter said “What DVD?” and I said “Animal Chin” and he said “who?” and I said “Fucking Animal Chin for fucks sakes you work at a skate shop and you don’t know who the hell Animal Chin is what the fuck is this world coming to?” Actually I didn’t say that last bit, I said “the Powell DVD with the asian guy on it, to the left of that” and the kid said “oh.”

So I bought it and took it home to see if this plan is crazy enough to work.

iPod Touch

First thing I did was cut out a piece that was about the same size as the iPod Touch. I got three feet of grip tape so I was really hoping I had enough for the job.

iPod Touch sized piece of grip tape

That was close. Then I trimmed it down even more.

cut to size

And with that, I went for it.

No Slip!

In the hour since I did this the iPod hasn’t slipped at all. Actually it hasn’t moved at all. It’s been sitting on my bed without being touched, so perhaps that isn’t the best road test. It definitely doesn’t feel like it’s going to slip, though it might wear a hole in my pocket or sand off my finger prints. It’s not slipping out of my pocket at least. So as far as I’m concerned, mission completed.

Quick Update: It’s been about a week and this keeps getting linked to so I thought I’d update folks on the antislippageness of this mod. So far it works awesome. And it’s not causing nearly the pocket or finger wear I was expecting. Turns out, and I never would have guessed, but a skateboard is way heavier than an iPod which makes it easier to scratch you when you pick it up. The iPod barely resists at all so there’s never any “scratching” going on. So far I’m pretty happy with this.

Another Update:  To everyone telling me about other options which I should have tried instead, where the hell were you jerks 2 weeks ago BEFORE I made this blog post showing what I’d already done. Your scary insightful insight would have been very helpful then. Now, not so much. Jerks.

Final Update: Almost a year later I’m retiring the iPod from daily use in favor of the iPhone I just bought. I’m happy to say that no holes were worn in any pockets, and in fact no noticeable damage to pockets at all. This worked out amazingly awesome and if I had tons of cash and resources I would have definitely made these and sold them all around the world and become a billionare off this idea.

1. Sounds like a good idea. Doesn’t it look a little strange with it stuck to the back, though?

Comment by zzap — October 24, 2007 @ 1:18 am
  2. Very nice, great idea! My iPhone slides in & out of my pocket all the time.

Comment by Nick — October 24, 2007 @ 6:02 am
  3. Now you can add nail file to its list of capabilities.

Comment by LNR — October 24, 2007 @ 7:57 pm
  4. bluno.org » No Slippage! mentioned this Article on

Pingback by bluno.org » No Slippage! — October 25, 2007 @ 9:59 am
  5. LNR > wouldn’t that violate Apple’s policy and be considered “untying” the phone? :-)

Comment by + simonas — October 25, 2007 @ 10:52 am
  6. Skatehardretard! » Grip your iPhone mentioned this Article on

Pingback by Skatehardretard! » Grip your iPhone — October 25, 2007 @ 11:10 am
  7. Wouldn’t Astrodeck have fixed the slippy problem without making your iPod into a pocket shredding machine?

Comment by ++ Jake — October 25, 2007 @ 12:29 pm
  8. I’ve used rubber skateboard grip tape on my laptop for years. Harder to find, but kinder on your pockets and bag linings.

Comment by fatlimey — October 25, 2007 @ 2:26 pm
  9. MacGyver Tip: Make Your iPod Slip-free with Skateboard Grip · TechBlogger mentioned this Article on

10. You could also use this to sand your deck.

Comment by Smegma — October 26, 2007 @ 8:48 am
  11. You know, you could just use black electrical tape and it probably wouldn’t slip out of your pocket because of the rubber surface of the tape. Then you don’t have rough grip tape scraping your hands up. Plus grip tape is hard to get off stuff.

Comment by bill gates — October 26, 2007 @ 9:19 am
  12. Make Your iPod Slip-free with Skateboard Grip [MacGyver Tip] · TechBlogger mentioned this Article on

13. Consider a fat robber band, but you’ll lose the nail file. You will gain a paper clip slingshot though.

Comment by shawn — October 26, 2007 @ 11:33 am
  14. Great way to destroy a new iPod touch! The apple store is not the only place to get a case, you can get rubber, non-destructive, sleeves online now and from other vendors such as Target. I got mine for $9. Hell, you can crazyglue the iPod to a Brick too but would you want to?

Comment by mtnrunner — October 26, 2007 @ 1:13 pm
  15. nice touch.

How strange I only just put the Animal Chin DVD on my iPod touch last night. Chin is the greatest skate movie ever made in my opinion. You should have ‘shablanked’ him upside the head with your deck.

Ry
    16g ipod touch owner
    Fave trick: just a plain vanilla frontside air on ramp!

Comment by Ryan muliette — October 26, 2007 @ 1:35 pm
  16. This idea seems amazing, and I’m glad I read it today I am in the market for a touch. Quick question though. Isn’t the metal backing supposed to disperse the heat that the battey and other internals create? What will this do to prevent that from happening?

Any ideas?

Comment by dangeross — October 26, 2007 @ 3:24 pm
  17. Wow, the mall skate shop carries Animal Chin? I suddenly feel much better about humanity, and not quite as old.

Comment by topographic — October 26, 2007 @ 4:02 pm
  18. » Make Your iPod Slip-free with Skateboard Grip [MacGyver Tip] mentioned this Article on

19. good idea, but bloody ugly though

Comment by Owen Turnbull — October 27, 2007 @ 8:28 am
  20. GEARFUSE » Using Skateboard Grip For No More iPhone Slippage mentioned this Article on

21. Gadget News » Using Skateboard Grip For No More iPhone Slippage mentioned this Article on

22. Interesting idea. But I have to agree, this is going to destroy a few pair of pants. I’ve used a Speck ToughSkin for my 2nd generation nano for about a year and it works great. It is a tough rubber skin that not only makes it more grippy, but protects it when I inevitably drop it. I checked and they make one for the Touch now. You might want to check out something like this before putting something on your Touch that would be very difficult to “undo”.

Comment by easye — October 28, 2007 @ 5:57 am
  23. Funny, Cool and Weird - Newgadgets.info » Blog Archive » iPod+Skateboard=No More Dropping [Hacks] mentioned this Article on

24. Hacks: iPod+Skateboard=No More Dropping mentioned this Article on

Pingback by Hacks: iPod+Skateboard=No More Dropping — October 28, 2007 @ 8:36 am
  25. Well, it’s an original idea, and it definitely works, but the grip tape screws the clothing, and it will scratch the surfaces where you lay your touch, which is not nice :\

Maybe a commercial option is better.

Btw, Bonner may as well be the best name in the whole world

Comment by Antonio Pratas — October 28, 2007 @ 11:19 am
  26. Thanks! So far I’m really happy with the results. Just updated the post to reflect that.

Comment by Sean Bonner — October 28, 2007 @ 11:47 am
  27. 3M makes several rubber-faced grip materials that are high friction and non-abrasive. Under the “3M Safety-Walk” brand name, look for the ones that are non-mineral faced.

It’s sold for footing in wet areas and stairs/ladders, but works great on laptops and other items that you need to keep a grip on.

Comment by callous — October 28, 2007 @ 2:59 pm
  28. Make Your iPod Slip-free with Skateboard Grip [MacGyver Tip] | Im the geek mentioned this Article on

29. Dude Animal Chin

Memories

Revo

Comment by Revo — October 28, 2007 @ 9:52 pm
  30. FYI, you cannot sand off your fingerprints. I believe the only thing that takes away fingerprints, is Acid, and I don’t mean the trippy kind either.

Comment by Karissa — October 28, 2007 @ 10:16 pm
  31. Oh yeah, well done to those who came out with ‘nice touch’!

It seems like a good idea but I think it looks pretty nasty, and I bet it’s fairly horrible to hold.

Comment by Ben — October 29, 2007 @ 1:37 am
  32. how about just using a silicone case off ebay? its prolly just as sticky. douche bag

Comment by smartman — October 29, 2007 @ 10:47 am
  33. You know, if you just punched a hole in one corner of the device then attached a chain that connects to a metal bracelet around your wrist it would totally eliminate the need for that abrasive grip tape. The chances of you ever losing it again would be pretty slim.

Comment by Mitzi — October 29, 2007 @ 9:58 pm
  34. Oh! Good idea! I have a drill with a half inch bit right here, that should do the trick right?

Comment by Sean Bonner — October 29, 2007 @ 10:17 pm
  35. Plus de dérapages pour l’iPod - Gizmodo - Tant d'amour pour ces fabuleux nouveaux gadgets, c'est surnaturel. mentioned this Article on

36. nice! now I want to grip everthing with my leftover griptape :D

Comment by nightlight — August 10, 2008 @ 8:36 am
  37. Yeah great untill it wears a hole in your pocket for it to fall out the bottom of your trousers along with the rest of you pockets contents!

Comment by Matt — August 14, 2008 @ 9:28 am
  38. Actually it worked out great, no holes or anything!

Comment by Sean Bonner — August 14, 2008 @ 9:33 am
  39. hmmm….didn’t realize the Touch and the Iphone were different sizes. I recently helped my fiancée’s order an Iphone skin for her Touch, but she lives in another state so I haven’t been able to see how it fits. I’ll have to ask her about that.

Comment by Chris — August 14, 2008 @ 12:46 pm
  40. Of course, by “fiancée’s” I mean “fiancée”

Comment by Chris — August 14, 2008 @ 12:48 pm
  41. i think perfect solution to ipod slipping problem would be… get rid of it

Comment by Nick — December 8, 2008 @ 9:35 am
  42. good idea

Comment by heh — December 13, 2008 @ 8:59 am
  43. Buy a cover for it dickhead

Comment by bmarr — February 2, 2009 @ 8:59 am
  44. What about just putting a few thin strips across the back and not covering the whole thing? Maybe even different colors?

Comment by Tom Cruze — April 21, 2009 @ 1:00 pm
  45. i am gonna do this on my ipad

go apple!

Comment by browns fan — April 16, 2010 @ 1:47 am
  46. MacGyver Tip: Make Your iPod Slip-free with Skateboard Grip | SHOCM mentioned this Article on