I’ve been saying for years that LA is my favorite city ever. It’s true, of all the places I’ve lived it’s the first place that ever felt like home and I still feel that rush every time I step off a plane when I return to the city. Of course no city is perfect and even with every thing I love about LA it still has it’s faults, and top of that is that it’s been getting super hot in the summer and I just don’t work well with that. The trouble is there’s no place that’s perfect 100% of the year, so if you want perfect all year around you need to chase the awesome where ever it might be at that point in time. Also, there’s no universal “this is good” agreement on weather or cities so figuring out what is best takes a bit more than a google search. Here’s a few things I like, and a few things I don’t like, if you know a location that is heavy on the like and not so much on the dislike during a certain part of the year, let me know. This is by no means limited to the US.
- Bikable – lots of flat well paved roads
- Moderate weather – something between 60-80 is ideal
- Food – need lots of options especially vegan ones
- Theaters – good theaters are manditory
- Culture – the more people from different places the better.
- English speaking – I speak English and while I dabble in some others, if I’m thinking of spending a lot of time somewhere I need to be able to get around from day one. I do want to learn Spanish and Japanese, but don’t know them yet.
- Public transport – the more trains the better.
- Overcast is nice.
- Extremely hot weather
- Snow and ice
- One industry cities – you know what I mean, places where the vast majority of people in a city are involved with one specific industry.
I’m sure there’s a lot more that I like and that I don’t, but that’s off the top of my head. Thoughts?