Thorns of Life Rumors

Music — Sean Bonner @ 4:59 pm

thornsIf a few random sources are to be believed then it’s official Thorns of Life’s debut album Legislators and Prophets will be released on June 30th by Desoto Records. Desoto of course is run by J Robbins from Jawbox who recorded the Thorns album, and even more rumors have him actually playing base in the band now. There is no confirmation about any of this on the Desoto Records site, the bands MySpace or Twitter so who knows. The album songlist that has been circulating is as follows:

1. The Black Arts
2. Kryptonite
3. My First Time
4. Ribbon Head
5. Available
6. Anti-Song for Barthelme
7. Not a Track Bike
8. Mont Blanc
9. I Hate New York
10. Oh Deathly Death
11. Gemini
12. Vivid Green
13. Building Al Qaeda in Washington
14. Tuning Out

If you haven’t grabbed the live set from Gilman yet then you are on crack because it rules. One thing that that is blowing my mind right now is that “Gemini” is listed on this track list, which Jawbreaker fans will recall was one of the super bad ass Dear You era songs that existed only in live recording format. I’ve been dying for a recorded version of it for years and if Thorns is doing that, whoah….

1. Yes, please! Thanks Sean, hope I’m not getting stoked about nothing.

Comment by jana miller — May 20, 2009 @ 7:29 pm
  2. Damn, I want TofL to work with Topspin. Blake, if you are reading this, email me back!!

Comment by Tara Brown — May 20, 2009 @ 11:36 pm
  3. damn, thanks sean. i was always on the jawbox side of the jawbreaker/jawbox debate, so this collaboration is like heaven on earth. Jets turned me into a jawbreaker fan too, but a jawbreaker/jawbox hybrid is something that makes the nerves twitter.

Comment by dean hutchison — May 21, 2009 @ 2:50 am
  4. Our site has received numerous submissions from users about this release, but we are awaiting official confirmation from either the label or the band before we add this to our release schedule. There are a few discrepancies in the tracklisting you’ve posted and the one that appears on the Wikipedia page, though (“Gemini” is nowhere to be seen, and track 6 is “Subway Crush,” which they did play at Gilman’s – in fact, the current tracklisting has only 2 songs which weren’t part of their set).

Personally, I do believe it’s a legitimate tracklisting, possibly posted by someone with some inside info on the band. The song sequencing and individual track lengths all appear to correspond to what these songs would sound like on an album.

Comment by Adam White — May 21, 2009 @ 7:44 am
  5. By the way, I happen to think that Crimpshrine and Jawbox are both very mediocre bands, so I hope that Blake’s influence shows up strongly on these songs; the bootleg certainly leaves me with that impression, as only “Not a Track Bike” and “Available” seem a bit sloppier (which is what I equare Crimpshrine to – a sloppy, careless pop punk band).

Comment by Adam White — May 21, 2009 @ 7:48 am
  6. Just heard from a VERY reliable source that runs a record label, No Idea – Var: “Cometbus told me the band broke up via a postcard. So… I’d call that official.”

I really hope this isn’t true. But is instead a buildup to surprise touring in future. Like say, at the Fest. If nothing else, I hope they release the album recorded in early 2009.

Comment by jana miller — May 21, 2009 @ 7:08 pm
  7. That is the worst news. Shit.

Comment by Sean Bonner — May 21, 2009 @ 7:16 pm
  8. Jawbreaker owes a large debt to that “sloppy, careless pop-punk band”…

Comment by Jeremiah Rufini — May 25, 2009 @ 10:32 pm
  9. Yes, please! Thanks Sean, hope I’m not getting stoked about nothing.

Comment by PB — May 27, 2009 @ 5:46 am
  10. I’ve heard some equally shitty things. One thing I heard is that the only part of the album recorded was the drums and after that it all fell apart. I then heard from a source as close to the band as it gets that nothing was ever recorded at all, it’s all bs, they’re not broken up but they’re not in any rush to do anything either. Barf.

Comment by Josh — May 27, 2009 @ 9:39 pm
  11. That would be rad to hear this version of Gemini . I saw them play @ Gilman and it was awsome. I was just listening to the CD from that show yesterday…awsome.

Comment by JImmy hathaway — July 12, 2009 @ 4:54 pm
  12. Sean, the Thorns of Life wiki page now says “Shortly after completion of the album, Aaron Cometbus quietly left the band leaving any release plans in limbo.”

And the members list has been updated to removing Aaron and adding Kevin Mahon, the first drummer for Against Me!

Comment by jana miller — August 22, 2009 @ 8:29 am
  13. Uh the Kevin Mahon thing was removed and switched back to Aaron Cometbus now. And then there is this:

Comment by jana miller — August 22, 2009 @ 9:39 pm
  14. […] the long-running rumors about Thorns of Life breaking up can be made […]