iPhone Tethering in 3 easy steps

Stuff & Things — Sean Bonner @ 8:49 am

iPhone tetheringWith iPhone software version 3.0 Apple has allowed for tethering, unfortunately if you live in the US and have AT&T it’s not working because AT&T hasn’t figured out how to charge you for it yet. Why wait for them to figure it out? Here’s how you can do it on your own:

1. Load up Terminal, and enter this (all on one line)
defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

2. Download this disk file and mount it.

3. With your iPhone connected to your computer, go to iTunes and option-click “restore” then select the disk image you just mounted and the file on it. If the first time you try this you can’t select it, just try again as some people have needed to do it twice.

That’s it! Now just enable Teathering by turning it on at iPhone/settings/general/network/Internet Tethering and you are good to go. Enjoy!

(via 9to5 thanx tara)

1. I’m leaving this comment right now via my tethered iPhone. Thanks millions, worked like a charm!

Comment by Jordan Harband — June 18, 2009 @ 10:11 am
  2. Replying via the tether now. thx

Comment by SiD — June 18, 2009 @ 12:30 pm
  3. have any problems with visual voicemail after the hack?

and for those who might not follow the source link you should mention that this does not work on the 2G iPhone

Comment by jeffro — June 18, 2009 @ 1:21 pm
  4. I haven’t gotten any new voicemails since the hack to test, but I can see and listen and such to the existing ones.

Comment by SiD — June 18, 2009 @ 3:30 pm
  5. Thanks for emailing this to me yesterday!

Comment by Erica — June 18, 2009 @ 3:35 pm
  6. shit; looks like I can cancel my Sprint Broadband plan. Shitty that I will have to pay that damn fee to break my contract but in the long run it will be worth it. Thanks bro!

Comment by Clintus — June 18, 2009 @ 4:19 pm
  7. Icma2002.Com » Blog Archive » iPhone Users: How’s 3.0? mentioned this Article on

8. Hi,

Could you help me to go over the step 1? I do not see “internet tethering” in the Network terminals. I already done downloaded v. 3.0.
    Where and how do i enter “defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE”.

Thanks for sharing.
    JD.

Comment by JD — June 18, 2009 @ 6:06 pm
  9. JD – the first step is on your computer, not your phone. Open Terminal and enter that line of code there.

Comment by Sean Bonner — June 18, 2009 @ 7:06 pm
  10. If you are having trouble with Visual Voicemail after enabling tethering:
    Go to your iPhone settings, General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network. Change the Visual Voicemail APN field from “wap.cingular” to “acds.voicemail”.

Note that before you sync your iPhone again, you must change this back to “wap.cingular” – otherwise you will lose your tethering, and have to repeat the process (of option-clicking the Restore button).

Alternatively, you can just reapply the carrier settings AND change back the APN field every time you sync, but the other method is faster.

Comment by Jordan — June 18, 2009 @ 8:37 pm
  11. OK. Got it sorted! Awesome! Thanks.

One note: not sure if I’m just retarded or maybe if my computer is, but “iPhone” did not come up in my Network Preferences on my computer. It configured it as “Ethernet Adaptor (en2)”. So I was confused at first and thought something wasn’t working.

And yes, this comment was left with the tethered connection.

Sweeeeeeeeet!

Comment by Aaron — June 19, 2009 @ 1:19 am
  12. My tethering file is grayed out – I’ve tried it about a dozen times. Also, I sync my iphone on my imac but want to tether to my MBP. Which machine do I do this on?

Comment by Lisa — June 19, 2009 @ 10:34 am
  13. Lisa, do it on your MBP. Your iMac doesn’t connect wirelessly, it’s a desktop.

Comment by Madeline — June 21, 2009 @ 4:53 pm
  14. LOVE IT!!!! Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Steve — June 23, 2009 @ 6:51 pm
  15. Hi Lisa,

Did you push the return key after you entered the text line in terminal?

Comment by Steve — June 23, 2009 @ 6:53 pm
  16. Jordan,
    you mention changing Visual Voicemail APN back to “wap.cingular” before syncing again. Is that just the first time you sync again, or before every time you sync? I changed it back before syncing, and then tethering disappeared.

I’d hate to have to choose between tethering and visual voicemail, but I can’t seem to get both working at the same time.

Comment by Rob — June 24, 2009 @ 12:11 am
  17. I opened the Terminal entered the line of text and hit return, then closed the Terminal. I downloaded the file plugged in my iphone option clicked on restore and opened the “Iphone Tethering file” , but the file inside is grayed out. Tried this about 5 times no success

Comment by Linda — June 25, 2009 @ 9:06 pm
  18. Completely Badass!!!

Comment by Will — June 28, 2009 @ 3:10 am
  19. Strange, its a simple process, but its not working for me yet. Tethered surfing is just not happening…

Comment by Malcolm — July 5, 2009 @ 7:40 pm
  20. Visual voice mail notifications not working after tether.
    There is no Settings>General>Network>Cellular data network option on the iphone that I can find.
    Where is this found… I am obviously missing something here.

Thanks.

Comment by Torin — July 17, 2009 @ 5:14 pm
  21. Like Rob, changing Visual Voicemail APN to “acds.voicemail”, disables tethering for me. So:
    – setting Visual Voicemail APN to “wap.cingular”, tethering works, no visual voicemail though
    – setting it to “acds…” gives back voicemail, but tethering disappears (needs to be reinstalled from iTunes and sync’d, and with this “wap…” will be restored too)

A work in progress, I guess, but thanks, Sean… we have hopes for a bright future :-)

Comment by Alex — July 18, 2009 @ 1:33 am
  22. … and yes, while playing with restoring the iPhone, the Cellular Data Network disappears from the Network section, so there’s no way to change the APN to get your voicemail back…:-(

no well, looks like I’m up for a new restore…

Comment by Alex — July 18, 2009 @ 2:10 am
  23. hmmm… after restoring (as a new iPhone), and WITHOUT installing the tethering file, the Cellular Data network choice is still not available… any ideas, Sean?

Comment by Alex — July 18, 2009 @ 2:53 am
  24. After searching all over and trying everything, I finally found a solution by combining info from different sources.

To get visual voicemail back after enabling tethering and also KEEP tethering working, follow these steps.

1. Go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz on your iphone and choose “Custom APN”, check yes for “V3 Tethering + MMS”, and choose “US – AT&T” from the carrier menu. This will download and install a verified profile.

2. Enable tethering and connect your phone to your mac (haven’t tested this on a PC) and make sure it’s working. Open itunes and option-click “Restore”. Navigate to your home folder and then: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Carrier Support.
    Choose the “ATT_US.ipcc” and let it update your carrier settings.

Done. This should bring back visual voicemail and keep tethering. It’s working for me so far anyway.

Comment by LOBO — August 30, 2009 @ 7:09 am
  25. Also, If tethering stops working just repeat step 1.

Comment by LOBO — August 30, 2009 @ 9:31 am
  26. I’ve enabled tethering using the .nz tool, but can’t get vm notification working, probably because I didn’t go through the itunes steps on my PC. Would someone please “translate” these instructions over to iTunes for Windows?

Comment by ata — August 30, 2009 @ 10:16 pm
  27. To fix visual voice mail after tethering:

Go to Settings>Reset>Reset Networking Setting

After that, you visual voice mail will be working again!

I do that after i done using the tethering.

Comment by Iphone user — September 11, 2009 @ 7:35 pm
  28. OK. So I am just a little conservative. Has this been tried recently since the upgrades to MMS with text messaging?

I would like to install this on one mac (the one I use to sync the iPhone) but would wish to tether it to a laptop. I am willing to attempt the instructions but losing voicemail when I use this as a business phone would be a disaster.

Comment by Paul Kleeberg MD FAAFP — October 8, 2009 @ 10:59 pm
  29. How do you “1. Load up Terminal” (I can’t find it on my pc), and I downloaded iphonetetheringfile.dmg but what does it mean to “mount” it?

Comment by Earl Savage — October 14, 2009 @ 6:29 pm
  30. Please how do I load a terminal I think I’m doing something wrong it did not work at all help some one

Comment by Jw — November 2, 2009 @ 12:16 pm
  31. can they tell if u are using this will i be charged

Comment by jeffro — January 4, 2010 @ 8:06 pm
  32. Worked like a charm… great help.. Thanks!

Comment by Viru — January 18, 2010 @ 12:05 pm