Shelving It – why bookshelves have become outdated and obsolete

Articles,Philosophy,Stuff & Things — Sean Bonner @ 5:01 am

When I was a kid growing up, one of the most impressive things I could see when visiting someone’s house was floor to ceiling shelving, every inch packed full of books. This was before I could read, or before I remember being able to read so which books were on the shelves wasn’t nearly as important as there just being tons of them. I felt like this meant the people were important and smart. I may have I picked up that notion from hanging around my fathers office, he was a lawyer and had towers of law books and encyclopedias everywhere, though I don’t recall thinking that he, or *we* were exceptionally important so I’m not entirely sure from where that concept came. What I am sure of is that if I saw a massive book case at your house I was impressed. I also know I wasn’t the only one thinking that.

I didn’t really get into books myself until I was a bit older, but what I did get into was movies. Given that this was the mid 80’s – the day and age when you could rent a VHS player from Blockbuster and every respectable video tape rental location had a well stocked betamax section – the idea of having a home video library was gaining popularity. Hollywood had given up on the war against video tape, abandoned the idea that this technology was going to bankrupt every studio out there, and were now making cash by the pirate ship full from selling and renting videos. The advertising of the day played off the obviously understood notion that if you were at all cultured you were actively building out your own home video library. I know that my step father at the time once explained to me how it was smart to rent a movie first to see if you liked it, then if you did you could buy it to put on your shelf, but you shouldn’t buy movies before you’d seen them.

This concept made perfect sense to me because your video library was a representation of your tastes. You only wanted to have good stuff in it, but you wanted to have all the good stuff in it. I was young then and without any real refined cinematic taste, so “good” was synonymous with “big” for me, and thusly we ended up renting a lot of Jim Varney, Tom Hanks, and Nightmare on Elm Street movies. For some unknown reason, still a mystery to this day, my family decided many of these titles were not worth purchasing after viewing. This didn’t go over well with me and at the wise old age of 10 I decided I needed to get started putting together my own video library. Getting a head start on it at that point was clearly genius because by the time I was an adult I’d have the best library ever. Probably an exact duplicate of the Blockbuster stock if I had my way.

I convinced my family it was a good idea to rent a VCR each time we went to blockbuster so that I could hook it up the one we had at home and make copies of the movies we rented so that I could add them to my newly started video library. I drew the covers of all the movies I copied because I wanted them to look real when on the shelf and I distinctly remember spending an afternoon attempting to replicate the cover of “The Man With One Red Shoe.” No reason why that one sticks out to me but there you have it.

Oh, did I mention that our home VCR was betamax? Yep. So you know that library had staying power.

This mindset stuck with me all the way through college when I did get into real books, I’d hang out at peoples houses and see books and movies on their shelves and decide I also had to have those on my shelves. Its embarrassing but true, in those days I definitely had books I’d never read on my shelves just because I saw them on other friends shelves and assumed that meant I should have them too. I did go on to read most of them later, but that’s beside the point. I didn’t buy them to read them, I bought them to fit in.

I’m getting somewhere with all this nostalgia – I wanted well stocked shelves because I wanted people to be impressed the way I was when I saw that kind of thing at other people’s houses. The shelves weren’t for me, they were for them. They were for my ego certainly, but I wasn’t keeping those books around so that I could reread them at a later date, I was keeping them so that people who visited me would know I’d read them. I wasn’t doing this consciously, but I was doing it. And once I realized what I was doing I felt like a douche and stopped adding to the stacks I’d amassed.

As a graphic designer I could always justify buying design books which I could argue were for inspiration and reference. And I definitely put them to heavy use for many years. Until the web really started getting going and then I found it was easier to go there to reference things than to hunt through stacks of books.

Skip ahead a few years, I’ve moved from Florida to Chicago to Los Angeles, and often several places in each city. And I’ve moved tons of books and DVDs and things each time. I take them off the shelf, pack them in heavy boxes, struggle to move them, unpack the boxes and put them back on the shelves. Rinse. Repeat. Until finally I realized it just didn’t make any sense. I had books I’d read once and hadn’t touched other than to move in over 10 years. I had reference books that had never been opened after looking through them in the bookshop and bringing them home because Google has proven to be a more efficient reference source. I have movies that are easier to just watch on my laptop via Netflix streaming or download from somewhere else then to have to fumble with DVDs and sit through unskippable advertising and trailers and antipiracy warnings. Digital files replaced CDs for me as well a very long time ago. So how is it better to have these things on my bookshelf?

I stopped being able to come up with a good answer for that.

I can argue valid reasons to keep art books which are all about the visual and tactile, and aren’t the same as a single JPG, but very few people have houses full of art books. Even I, an ex-gallery owner and art collector had some stacks, but not piles. But fiction and non-fiction?

As I get older the less I care about people’s opinion of me, and feel that my actions should say more about me than what objects I decided to purchase. Once I realized that it was hard to justify keeping these things and I decided they’d be better off in the hands of someone who hadn’t read them and could actually benefit from possessing them. Am I the only one coming to this conclusion? Do you have shelves full of books and media? Do you still use them?

1. i still pause at a person’s bookshelf to browse what they’ve chosen to bring into their home, keep and display. i’ve also lugged my own library around the country. recently, though, i’ve realized i no longer have a desire to do that and am letting my library go – books and movies. yup, even the comic book collection i’ve maintained since i was 12 years old. i no longer need/want their physical presence to feel smart or important or whatever it was that caused me to want to grow those collections. instead, i have an app for that :-P

Comment by ChaoticMark — September 25, 2010 @ 5:22 am
  2. I don’t have as much space for books in our townhouse as I would like. But we have four large bookshelves, and they’re full of books. Books for our daughter, books of photo albums, lots and lots of fiction, and reference books too, which even in this age of google are remarkably useful. Try finding the specific advice for your climate zone and type of plant that is in the Sunset Western Garden Book quickly via google. (It won’t happen. I’ve tried it many times.)

Certainly I have pruned my collection over the years. I have very few books of paperback fiction. I prefer books that last, and thus I have collected books that I want to keep in hardback where I can. I don’t have the giant piles of paperback sci-fi that I did as a 25 year old.

I don’t have an e-reader, yet. I have an android phone (and previously, an iPhone), which make passable readers, and I’ll probably get an e-reader at some point, but for now I don’t feel that I really need one. I like the heft of a good hardback novel, and while I certainly am no luddite, I have yet to find an e-reader that is compelling enough to buy. That includes the iPad, which while it is an impressive device, I’ll wait for gen 2 or 3, or wait to see how the android tablet world shakes out first.

Comment by Roger Weeks — September 25, 2010 @ 6:12 am
  3. Oh also – I don’t have any media on my shelves with the exception of some children’s DVDs which haven’t been ripped to the media player box, and some things that I just don’t want to part with like the LoTR box set – even though I’ve ripped those movies and don’t watch the DVD. Maybe a total of 30 movies left on DVD. Everything else is netflix or digital files.

Comment by Roger Weeks — September 25, 2010 @ 6:19 am
  4. Great post and I totally agree. I’m in the midst of de-cluttering and you’ve inspired me to clear the shelves.

Comment by Jessica Ellen — September 25, 2010 @ 9:14 am
  5. Interesting post, though I have to add some points which might sound like I disagree. To be honest: I haven’t made up my mind yet.
    Having bookshelfes just for your visitors and for reference is probably a little outdated. But: Everytime I discuss the topic of getting rid of things with friends, the argument put out the most often is: “Yeah, but I feel comfortable sitting next to a huge shelf full of books”. And I have to agree: the Idea of having a large library does have this romantic notion that cannot be topped even by a fireplace or a forest in your back yard.
    Also: Although I almost never read a book twice, I’d guess about 30% of my books have been lended out at least once. I like the feeling of being able to recommend literature to friends and vice versa. I the moment when I hang out with a dear friend and he or she says “you really have to read this”.
    I nowadays read most of my books on an ebook reader. Still I somehow like paper and especially lots and lots of knowledge sitting behind me on a shelf.
    So, well, still not sure on the book topic :)

Comment by Julian — September 25, 2010 @ 3:28 pm
  6. Maximizing the experience of media by enjoying the hell out of it and sharing it.
    Minimizing the annoyance of owning something physical for xx reasons.

I do it too!

Comment by harold — September 25, 2010 @ 7:33 pm
  7. I like to loan good books to friends, and I do that a lot. I don’t have shelves and shelves of books, but I like to have some shelves of books. It’s a good conversation starter sometimes (no one is judging me from my taste in books, but we can still talk about what’s on the shelf). As cool as digital books are, they still haven’t replaced the printed book yet, not fully.

I’ve dropped almost all of my CD collection though (the only ones remaining are the ones the used CD store wouldn’t take). I’ve gotten rid of most of my DVDs, but some of them are still watched often enough to keep.

Comment by MEP — September 26, 2010 @ 3:20 am
  8. I brought my then-new girlfriend over to my apartment for the first time. I was in my 20s. I had 6 full bookshelves with CDs. Thousands. She paused and was in awe. She started looking closer at the collection. She literally was crawling on the floor looking at the music on these shelves. After what seemed like a long time, she looked up and said, “If I were going to marry a man based on his record collection, you would be that man.”

I think of physical music in much the same way as you talk about books here. It just feels like more hassle than it’s worth and putting them on display seems more and more silly as I get older. I think once you’ve had the validation, you move on. If you’re always trying to improve as a human being, then hopefully you’re shedding the ego bullshit all the time.

I liked what you had to say about wanting to be judged more by your actions and not your stuff. Totally agree. And besides, you can’t take it with you when you die.

Comment by Brad Barrish — September 26, 2010 @ 4:11 am
  9. I still have tons of books on my shelves. I even have a set of shelves organized by color in my living room. I have gotten rid of cd’s & dvd’s but I like my books.

I do reread, the fiction book I’m reading now is from my shelves & my next one prob be as well. I also have tons of art books, design monographs & comics that I reference pretty often. I also have a bunch of cookbooks that get regular use.

There’s no doubt that I have more books than I “need” and plenty are for posterity but all of them are books I’ve read, many that I’ve written in the margins of, all of them remind me of some point in my lite & that’s the reason I like them best.

Comment by BarryMcW — September 26, 2010 @ 6:15 am
  10. I like to keep books that have in some way shaped the person I am. And it is nice to revisit these books and revisit the particular feelings they illicit. I also like the idea that my children might read these books, or that my friends and family can come and borrow them and hopefully get as much out of them as I have. Storing them on bookshelves is really just a convenience. If I never got a visit from another person would I change what is on my bookshelves, or for that matter would I change the art that hangs on my walls, or the cds stacked near my stereo? No, because they are there for my enjoyment.

I guess it depends on the individual and their motives but the main thing is you shouldn’t really judge a person by their bookshelf… until you know the person that is.

Comment by Anne C — September 26, 2010 @ 7:23 am
  11. There is a reason I keep my books, and it’s the same reason I keep old photographs I almost always never look at. It’s because these objects help define me.

Knowing I have these books and photos – and whatever else I’ve hung onto over the years that I think is valuable in some way – means knowing, feeling, experiencing, and being self-aware of myself.

I’m following in the footsteps of my mom. When she passed away a few years ago, I took home her collection of photographs, dating back to at least the 1930s. For a while, I wondered why she kept all those photos, if they existed only in desk and bureau drawers, out of site. What good were they if no one ever saw them?

Yet I’m sure now that my mom kept them, not to look at them, but to validate who she was. Just knowing she’s hung onto those visual mementos, which existed physically on a piece of photographic paper, was enough; looking at them though, I believe, was an unnecessary physical act.

By the same token, I’ve got my own photographs of me, and places I visited, from the time I was a child. When I touch or crack open one of the books I read as child or a young adult, I’m sometimes taken back to that time. It’s the same with my old backpacking gear, my old camera gear (somewhere in the garage are my simple box cameras from when I was a child), my old coffee cups, etc.

Comment by Dave Wyman — September 27, 2010 @ 5:05 pm
  12. I fought long and hard against the Kindle because I LOVE books. It has always been a point of pride with me to have loads of books all over the house. But recently my wife and I moved to China and it seemed ridiculous to pay someone to store my books, plus there is not a lot of English language books where we are in China. So I finally gave in to the e-reader and now I love it. Books are easy to find, and I was able to almost completely replace my physical library by selling them to stock the digital library. This article really hits home and it is interesting to see that other people have had to face the paradigm shift in how media is presented and stored.

Comment by JJ — September 29, 2010 @ 5:35 am
  13. I also don’t really think a kindle or an iPad is an appropriate way to teach children to read. Books are important for children, and as such I will always have a large collection of books for my daughter to read. If she wants to get an e-reader when she’s older, great, but I don’t think a toddler should be given their own kindle.

Not to mention that books are much more spill resistant than electronics. You can read a book that got water spilled on it – try that with an iPad.

Comment by Roger Weeks — September 29, 2010 @ 10:29 pm
  14. My partner and I still have and use bookshelves and physical books (our apartment it at capacity, topping out at 17 full bookcases). We read an average of six books a week, buy between four and ten books per month, and purge between 10 and 30 books every six months by taking them to a used bookstore for trade-in or donating them to Goodwill or local libraries that accept used books. In the past year or so we started buying more e-books because we really don’t have the space for many more.

As for why I love physical books, it is not so much the act of having a text in hand (though well loved books become unique and more familiar each time they are read) as having information in a less volatile manner: they don’t require electricity or a charged power cell. If a book is dropped on the floor, it doesn’t shatter or crash. Plus, physical books can be annotated easily; something that we enjoy doing with friends in the area is loan them to one another, and some come back with annotations in the margins: insights, references to other things and places, clarifications, questions that yet someone else might pen a response to. Loaning books to someone (and conversely, asking to borrow that book) also requires an implicit agreement to actually sit down and read that text, and not just throw it in a directory with the (checks…) five hundred-plus .pdf files “to get to when I have a chance.”

Also, there are books which we read and re-read from time to time which are not available in electronic format, legally or otherwise. Once in a blue moon either of us will purchase an electronic copy of a favorite book and give the hardcopy to someone else but that is rare right now.

Comment by The Doctor — October 1, 2010 @ 12:59 pm
  15. I have moved almost annually for 10 years, and moved to Costa Rica at the beginning of this year. I had given up on owning physical music ages ago – once you have an iPod the stacks of cracked jewel cases start to seem silly pretty quick.

Books are harder – I also have moved shelves and shelves of them over and over again. But before I moved down here, I evaluated what I really had, and came to a pretty simple conclusion that has worked well for me. I kept the few books that I honestly read again and again. I kept anything that was genuinely irreplaceable, such as books with inscriptions from friends or authors or ones that I had since childhood. And I kept the few books that would cost real money to replace.

But I realized that almost everything I had could be picked up at a used book store or on Amazon for between $1-$5 if I ever wanted it again. Granted, I read a lot of 18th and 19th century lit, but even books that are two or three years old are pretty easy to buy cheap used. And I don’t miss them. If there’s a passage I want to reference, I find it online. If I want to reread something, I download a file or go to the store and buy a used one. I still have the books that have real meaning for me, and they all fit in one storage crate.

Comment by Amy — October 2, 2010 @ 7:24 pm
  16. Every time I try to “save” money by downloading a book, I end up going out to buy it. There is no better feeling than the smell of the book and turning the pages. I hope newer generations will know the joy of finishing a novel from “cover-to-cover.” Having bookshelves doesn’t necessarily mean having them out in display for every one that walks in your house to see. I have my “library” room and that’s where my books are. I have donated some to local libraries, but not all because to me a house w/o books is just plain scary.

As for movies. I refuse to have to watch them downloaded. Like my books, I have them on a shelf alphabetized and very easy to find. I like being able to step away from this computer and not having to do anything on it. And no, I don’t do it for “showing off” purposes. My TV room is also not the first thing you see when you walk into my house.

Just remember the more “eggs” we put into one basket, the harder it is to let go. So I encourage you all to step away from the computer (or any other electric device you might be using) and go read a real book.

Comment by AJ — October 6, 2010 @ 9:40 pm
  17. It’s so interesting you posted this right now. I just carted off 5 bags of books to donate to my local Burbank Public library after holding onto them for dear life for 8 years. Half of them hung out in my junk closet when I ran out of bookshelf space and half of them waited patiently to be re-read on a bookshelf. But they were never re-read since I had thirty other books waiting to be read. There are just too many books in the world to go back and re-read old books. So now I don’t buy books anymore. I just get them from the library. It was crazy how much I hung onto the books well past the point when I would have gotten rid of many other things in my house. But books seemed sacred. Not to be thrown away casually. And now, something, has changed. I did have a moment where I wished for everybook that I was giving away the publisher would give me a free digital copy. Because how easy is it for every CD in my collection to create a free digital copy? And then I put the books in the bottom of the trash bag with the hope that they were going to a better place.

Comment by Ilana Weiner — October 20, 2010 @ 12:49 am
  18. Yes but if you’ve ever seen the face of someone who has never held a book in her life until that moment – because she never went to school, was married off at the age of 12 to an old man, or was too ashamed to admit that she couldnt read because everyone told her that as a girl she was stupid and it was a waste of precious money to educate her, you’ll also understand that for some books are a lifeline to another world

Comment by jacky sutton — October 29, 2010 @ 12:37 pm
  19. Books are the new vinyl. They will go out of style (with e-readers taking over) and become cool again in 20 years. They will be easy to get rid of as digital media becomes ever more popular, but the return to analog and the experience and quality of breaking a spine and feeling the pages is one that an e-reader will never replace (much like the sound quality of vinyl vs. an mp3 file). My books are a portal to the memories of where and who I was when I read them. Yes, they are a pain in the ass to move, but always worth it!

Comment by Whitney — November 2, 2010 @ 11:41 pm
  20. Moving was a big motivating factor for me as well as living in small spaces. When I moved from Toronto to Seattle 3.5 years ago I didn’t bring any CD’s/DVD’s/Books and it was freeing. Over the past few years with Kindle/Internet and Pandora/Rdio/Netflix I have access to anything I want to read/enjoy and haven’t found myself missing having “real” media around.

Comment by Ryan McMinn — November 25, 2010 @ 3:38 am
  21. We’ve always had a small home, so I had one bookshelf growing up. Which was hard for me, because I’ve always read a ton (I remember telling my dad that being rich meant being able to go to the bookstore and buy anything that I wanted). I’d keep the books that I loved and would read again, and the rest were donated to the library, a trip we made every few months.

We have a larger house now, but I still only have one bookshelf. Moving has been a huge motivator for me to be more of a minimalist, and every move, we’ve given away at least as much as we’ve packed. The older I get, the less attached I am to things.

Comment by caroline — November 27, 2010 @ 4:24 pm
  22. Yeah, I don’t need books. I need more aps.

Sheesh.

Comment by adrian c. — November 30, 2010 @ 2:39 am
  23. Yep still use bookshelves (and books). As much as I enjoy my ereading, it’s just not the same as a book. I’ll die off someday, I know.

Comment by Alley — December 30, 2010 @ 6:32 pm
  24. I keep my collection under one shelf on a book shelf. Makes life simple and easy.

Comment by Paula — January 14, 2011 @ 9:53 am
  25. I’ve got a deep attachment to my books, and though I pare down my collection with every move, it usually grows again. I enjoy the feel of a book in my hands, writing and taking notes in them, stuffing them in a bag or purse to go with me, the way them smell and look, being able to flip to my favourite page, etc. I’ve never been able to get over my dislike of ereaders because of that.

I keep my collection of books for ME, not for someone else to see (or else I would have gotten rid of some of the embarassing books I own, like anything by Anton LaVey, and my collection of crappy historical (old west and scottish) romance novels). I also collect books of fairy tales and mythology, particularly those edited by Andrew Lang. I also usually have a collection of reference books for whatever profession I’m involved with at the time (I had quite the collection of mortuary and death related texts for a while, and now I’m building my Chinese medicine and massage library)

However, I’m also an avid re-reader. I will re-read books many times, and if I’ve never reread a book, I tend to get rid of it.

Though, I should mention, I also have OCD, and while I am medicated and healthy, the effects linger in my books. I enjoy organizing and shelving them (I’m working on putting them up on Library Thing.com, and I’m considering shelving them by LLC code). It satisfies me. But my unwilingness to part with them is also part of my OCD tendency to not get rid of somethin that may be useful or I may want one day. That it only lingers in my attachment to books is something I accept and have come to terms with.

As for other media – I havn’t bought a real music CD in years, though I think my sister still has the book of CDs I got as a teenager. The portability and ease of use of digital music trumps the cds.

Its getting the same with DVD’s. My partner and I have a big DVD collection that we just cut down significantly, and we generally make more use of Redbox for renting. I’m thinking it might not be a bad idea to just get a netflix account so we can watch everything on either of our computers (which we could also hook up to the TV). Some dvd’s I’m sure we’ll never get rid of – I’ve never lived anywhere with out a hard copy of ‘The Last Unicorn’, and we do love our extended LOTR dvd’s, but its getting to where we have no place to store them. They’re sitting on a shelf in front of our book shelf, that we have to move to GET to the bookshelf. Going digital would give us more room. We do still have VHS, since our TV has a vhs player, and we can buy them used for fifty cents, and they’re actually a bit more durable than our dvd’s, so we might keep them. But the viewable media is less about status and more about the fact that we don’t have cable. But, since I’m currently living with my grandmother, I almost never use her cable anyway, and watch stuff on Hulu, or things I’ve ripped or downloaded. So perhaps another purge and a netflix membership is in order.

Comment by Wendy Blackheart — January 23, 2011 @ 1:28 am
  26. i disagree. when a “cybersecurity emergency” arises, and it will because that is what some in power want, the government will contact the major isp companies and click, click, click (or code, code, code if you prefer). then, when most americans have no books, and no internet, a book is going to be worth something.

also, our power grid is ancient and getting more screwy by the hour. when there is no electricity, books will be there in the day and by candlelight.

in my most paranoid post-apocalyptic nightmare, books will be used as currency, like almost everything. stupid designers and bloggers like you and me will be worthless then.

thank god i used to be a carpenter.

Comment by trent — January 29, 2011 @ 8:48 pm
  27. “stupid designers and bloggers like you and me will be worthless then.”

Ah but you assume those are single skills, like a stupid designer or blogger could only be a stupid designer or blogger. Maybe they also used to be stupid carpenters like you.

And in your worst nightmare where there is no power and no internet, books won’t be as valuable as you think. You know what will be? Ammo. That’ll be worth tons, and luckily I have lots of that. Because in your worst nightmare of no power and no internet, kicking back to read a book won’t be my main concern. And I won’t have a house full of books I’m trying to hopelessly protect either.

Comment by Sean Bonner — January 30, 2011 @ 1:05 am
  28. well, you’re an asshole. you obviously didn’t click the link to read my blog to see i agree and have stated the same for quite some time.

i disagree and you choose to insult me with what i am?

douche.

Comment by trent — January 30, 2011 @ 2:32 am
  29. Lots of people disagree, that’s everyone’s right. You didn’t just disagree, you insulted me on my own site. I simply noted that your insult wasn’t actually that accurate.

Comment by Sean Bonner — January 30, 2011 @ 5:09 am
  30. what a sensitive wittle boy you are.

(pats sean’s head)

i insulted you how? where in my first message did i single you out?

i lumped us in together. ie: “stupid designers and bloggers like you and me.” key words: “you and me.” key word: “and.”

i did it lightheartedly with a sense of humor you are obviously devoid of. i was being self-effacing to myself, and in an obviously foolish attempt to gain empathy. it was you who insulted me by calling me, singularly, with, “stupid carpenters like you.”

so fuck you, asshole. enjoy your little holier-than-thou moment. i will not respond again so flame away. although in time i’d make you look even more foolish than you already do. wittle baby boy with sensitive feewings.

besides being a published author, blogger, graphic designer, playwright, carpenter, i also consult for motorcycle-related companies and design motorcycles that people ride (i know the third dimension is hard for you to grasp but stay with me here). additionally, the next bike is a charity bike to be raffled off with the proceeds given to dog rescue.

you? you’re just some over-educated and under-socialized asshole with a website that does nothing but blab about bullshit i, once again, foolishly involved myself in.

bad trent. learned lesson. now to nail self to cross. can you help me? or have you ever used a hammer for anything but to hang up an escher poster in your dorm room?

now that’s an insult. you fucking douche.

Comment by trent reker — January 30, 2011 @ 5:50 am
  31. “besides being a published author, blogger, graphic designer, playwright, carpenter, i also consult for motorcycle-related companies and design motorcycles that people ride”

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so proud of you. Really, it must be so rad to be you. Fuck, I can’t even imagine how cool that must be. It’s like a fantasy. For me I mean, for you… REALITY! Actual motorcycles, not even just fake ones? Wow.

“you’re just some over-educated and under-socialized asshole with a website”

Thanks for the unexpected compliment but I dropped out of college so I’m in no way over educated. That was a compliment, right?

“have you ever used a hammer for anything but to hang up an escher poster in your dorm room?”

What?? I’d never use a hammer for my priceless escher posters, that would put holes in the corners and knock full dollars off their value. I need to keep those suckers in MINT condition, so they are still rolled up in tubes under my dorm bed.

“now that’s an insult. you fucking douche”

Trent, I hate to sound disappointed or anything, but you already called me a douche in your previous comment. It’s not really much of an insult to call me the same thing again. Sure you added “fucking” but that’s not really a new insult, know what I mean? I’m sure you can come up with something else, right? I mean, an experienced online blabber of bullshit like yourself must have an arsenal of insults to throw around, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I cried instantly upon reading it, both times, then called my mom to cry more and hugged my teddy bear to make myself feel better, but surely you can come up with something else. I believe in you Trent.

(PS, if you can’t, just try googling “insult” for some tips. Toodles!)

Comment by Sean Bonner — January 30, 2011 @ 8:04 am
  32. Wow.. on top of his self-advertising nonsense, that Trent guy has got some serious insecurity issues. As a completely nonpartisan bystander, pretty sure his rage is unsubstantiated.

Comment by Cyrus — February 2, 2011 @ 5:11 pm
  33. Interesting, Yet Outdated, Furniture | Robot Monkeys mentioned this Article on